Sunday, December 23, 2012

Cat Has Chronic Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)

Q:   My domestic short hair cat is getting one urinary tract infection after another.  I bring her to the veterinarian and then he gives her antibiotics.  A few weeks later it comes back.  I really don't understand why she keeps getting the UTIs.  I feed her Friskies dry food which I leave out when I go to work.  I don't want to keep putting my cat on antibiotics over and over again.  What can I do to help my cat stop getting these chronic urinary tract infections?

A.  So sorry your cat is getting chronic urinary tract infections.  There is a lot you can do to help.  Holistic treatments using both diet and supplements can often resolve the problem and if you continue with the natural supplements, it can prevent the infections from coming back.  We have had excellent results using the Pet UTI Prevention Formula  
In addition, it would be a good idea to use a high moisture, hypoallergenic diet.  Friskies contains ingredients such as corn, food dyes, by-products and chemicals which are not healthful for any cat, but especially not one prone to urinary tract infections.  It is important to look for ingredients such as meat and omega 3 fish oils on the label and if there are ingredients you haven't heard of, you might want to look for another brand. Dry food can also contribute to urinary tract infections in cats. 

For more indepth information about how you can use holistic care to help treat your cat's chronic urinary tract infections, read this article on urinary tract infections in cats and dogs.

Post a Comment